Wednesday 1 December 2010

Mission accomplished

The dogs now live with a nice mother and daughter only 30 minutes away. The meeting went well and after a few text messages back and forth they seem to be settling in well. I think we're coming to terms with it all slowly after all the trauma.

Went to visit a friend this morning that had her daughter the same time as I had Poppy, who gave birth to a son 2 weeks ago. He's so tiny! And so quiet. I was there 2 hours and he only woke up as I was leaving for his feed. Just asleep in his moses basket or in my arms. Why did I find the newborn stage so difficult again? Although Poppy was never really one just for sleeping inbetween feeds, more like squalling and fussing a lot. We were talking about when the girls were little and we used to go to a breastfeeding support group every week. Poppy was very demanding and I remember spending a lot of my time there trying to settle her so that I couls talk to the other mums and drink my tea. And then giving up after an hour and leaving, close to tears, feeling like a failure as everyone else's baby was asleep or content on the playmats. After telling S this she was surprised that I had felt that way, she and the other girls thought that I was leaving to put Poppy down for her nap. That I was trying to get her into a routine etc, she had no idea that I had felt that way. It just goes to show that the way you perceive a situation can be completely different to how others view how things. And how if I'd opened up a bit more as to how I was feeling instead of running away from people that potentially could have shared my stress, perhaps things would have been different. I may have thought 'sod it' and gone to the lunches and meet-ups outside of Boob Group, instead of thinking that I couldn't handle it and Poppy would ruin any attempt at me having a social life.
Lesson learned for baby number two, if and when they come along in the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment