Wednesday 8 December 2010

Appreciating what you've got

A visit to a friend today made me think that myself and hubby are lucky to be in steady employment. Her husband is a self-employed builder who works extremely hard, all days, all hours, far and wide. Who hasn't been able to work for the last 2 weeks thanks to the cold snap we're having here. Can't lay bricks in these extreme temperatures. I never thought of that, I always imagined the wet weather hinders builders but not that cold weather means cement can't be laid. So, of course, no work means no pay. Just before xmas. They'll manage because they're sensible, but at least we know at the end of the month we get paid and we can pay the bills. In this current climate where people are being made redundant all over the place, self-employed people struggle to find work and even public sector jobs aren't safe, us working in the NHS and the police force are luckier than most.
Now I'm not saying that we're better off than them, each to their own, it just brought home to me that with all my moaning about things, a lot of which is actually not important, I should appreciate what I have got.

No comments:

Post a Comment