Friday 26 November 2010

So it starts again

Turns out that the friend who jumped in to save the day and take our snappy pooches off our hands has had a change of heart. Not that the dogs are the problem, it's her somewhat emotionally labile state after the death of her previous dog that has stirred up feelings that she can't manage. She doesn't think she should be a dog owner after all. Fair enough. Now I have to find somewhere else for them to live. I knew it was too good to be true.

This all transpired at the beginnings of this week's episode of the Tummy Bug, so I entered an advert into the local newspaper to run this weekend and went to bed to try and forget about it all. Today is the first day it has appeared and we've had 2 phonecalls that couldn't be more different.

The first immediately made me think 'there's no way you're getting hold of my animals even if I have to take them back' and realise that (not even deep down) I am quite a snob. When someone phones you and the first thing they ask about is that if they're definitely for free, you don't get a good feeling. And then say they haven't got transport can we bring them to them, and if it's too much hassle we'll go elsewhere thank you very much, that adds to the general unease and dislike for the exceedingly stupid sounding person on the other end of the line.

Thankfully, the second caller was entirely more sensible. My instincts are telling me that this may be the family for them. Teenage daughter, no toddlers, previous dog experience, friendly voice, asking questions about dogs and freely speaking about themselves. Meeting is set up for tomorrow morning at a park so that everyone can have a walk in peace and no pressure is put on either side. Poppy will be with my Mum and hubby in bed after nights so no-one need get upset by seeing them again once I pick them up from my friend's house. Except me. But I'd rather me be upset alone than my whole family again. I think if hubby had to say goodbye again after just getting them back it'd take a while to recover. And in case you're worried my Dad is accompanying me to the park. I hadn't had a thought for my personal safety until he pointed out to me on the phone it probably wasn't a good idea to meet a random stranger in a park on my own. Doh.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this hun, I hope tomorrow goes well and it's not too heart-wrenching for you. Thinking of you lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete