Saturday 15 January 2011

26ⁿ Prompt 1 - The Names of Things

I haven't written anything except the usual letters, emails and blog posts since leaving GCSE English class. I thought I'd give it a try after seeing a fellow blogger starting a writing prompt blog here.

Here I sit on my brown leather sofa
Looking with fresh eyes around my quiet sitting room
Photographs on the walls, mantelpiece, windowsill
My wedding day, my youthful face smiles back at me
Hair groomed and topped with a silver jewelled tiara
A necklace of borrowed creamy pearls

My daughter's toy keyboard, a garish plastic pink
Draws my gaze away from the reminiscing
Rounded edges to make it safe, white and black keys
Hours spent shouting 'Love you' into its microphone

Baby soft hair that is mussed up by sleep
Requires gentle brushing with hair conditioner sprayed on
Coconut scented, from its bottle with a pop-off cap
Bringing back memories of suntan lotion from my honeymoon

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Very evocative, I feel like I'm seeing everything as you see it (and smelling it). Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete