Sunday 25 July 2010

Race for Life a success!

Today was the big race day. My friend and I decided we fell into the 'joggers' category (not intending to walk, not fast enough to say we're 'runners') and joined in the en-masse aerobics warm up. 6000 women all joined together in a field intending to raise money for Cancer Research UK, jumping up and down with numbers pinned to their chests. And then we were off! About 2km in (out of the 5km) I realised that no matter how much I ignored it that stitch under my ribs was not going to go away. Boy was it painful. I had to psyche myself up to take a deep breath as it hurt so much. I never got a stitch during any of my training so didn't really know what to do apart from slow to a walk, but my running partner kept me going and I was not going to give in. The km markers kept passing and I kept going. Before I knew it we'd passed the 4km and the end was near. We spotted our personal cheerleaders (both husbands plus our children), waved as we ran past, and crossed the finish line at 37m52s.

I know it's only about 3 miles but I am so pleased with myself. I set myself a goal back in March and I did it. Something for myself that also will help others. It's sad but I've worn my medal since getting home ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment