Thursday 27 May 2010

What is it about poo??

There have been two poo-related incidents in my household this week. I am ashamed to say it and I hold my hands up to being a Bad Mummy - Poppy got her hands on dog poo. I was cooking dinner and she was crawling about in the garden (which I had already checked for poo btw), with me watching her progress out of the window. I thought "what's that she's got?" as her hand moved to her mouth, screamed, ran outside to grab her, but a piece had gone in the mouth. GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS.

After scouring her hands clean, giving her drinks out of one clean cup then another to rinse any remainder away, swearing profusely at my dogs, and getting her in the highchair for dinner, I Googled "My baby ate dog poo". To see if I needed to properly panic. Apparently not if your animal is healthy and unlikely to have a parasitic infection (again GROSS), and if the quantity is small. And it made me feel marginally better seeing how many other parents it had happened to.

Then this afternoon after lunch I was changing Poppy's nappy and Chicco, the eldest dog, followed suit and chowed down on the liner containing Poppy's poo from the nappy I'd just taken off. My back was turned, trying to wrestle her into the waterproof cover whilst she squirmed free to cruise along the sofa, when I heard a suspicious noise. Looking over my shoulder he was tucking in, once again I screamed, dropped the nappy cover and lunged at him before he could finish. My god, it REALLY can't taste that good. Now I know this same dog has a penchant for horse manure from numerous trips to parks, but I thought that a dirty nappy was safe within his reach. Another reason to confine him to the kitchen.

After poo incident #1 I was on the phone to landscape gardeners to get quotes for sorting out the garden. We had been discussing putting turf down in part of the back garden, but now it's a definite. It'll be fenced off so the dogs can't get on it, they'll have their own bit of patio they can access thru the dog flap, and it'll mean a soft landing and play area for Poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment