Tuesday 23 March 2010

D&V - ** sorry if TMI **

Ok I'm officially fed up of diarrhoea. I had decided earlier I much preferred it over baby sick - I know, I spend too much time alone with my child - but after the latest explosion I'm not sure. Hubby just went upstairs to the loo before work, got to the end of the hall and turned around to come get me, you could smell it from there. When we got up there Poppy was asleep on her front, so hubby picked her up and laid her on the change station, then opened the sleeping bag. Oh. My. God. Due to her being on her front (this is only the third time she's been asleep on her belly by the way) the poo was up to her chin under her night clothes. I ran her to the shower clothes and all, holding her out in front of me at arms length to prevent the assault on my nostrils. After hosing her down and soaping head to toe she resembled a baby again. The joys of parenthood. Thank god hubby hadn't left for work yet, I can just imagine discovering that gem on my own.

How long is this going to last? She hasn't been sick in 36 hours but this diarrhoea situation just isn't improving. I suppose until she eats some solids there's nothing to digest, she won't eat food only drink a bit of milk. GP saw her yesterday and checked her thoroughly, and basically said let it run its course. And run it is, literally everywhere...At least today she's been awake more, yesterday we were so scared as she slept the whole day on our laps and wouldn't really wake for a drink. And she had a temperature too, something that we've never had to deal with before (luckily I know, seeing as she's almost 1). Seeing that thermometer saying 38.6 was a shock, although how much of that was because she wanted to cwtch into us I'm not sure. So Calpol and stripping her off were promptly administered, bringing it down to 37.8 by the time the gp took it an hour later.

The irony is although we haven't started using cloth nappies properly yet, they would probably contain all this poo a lot better than a disposable ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Poor mami, poor babi :(

    Try putting one of the cloth wraps on over the disposable nappies, someone suggested that to me when Jacob was tiny and breastfed and nothing was contained by the nappies!

    But console yourself with the thought that once you've got it off her, it's in the bin and done with, rather than if it was cloth and you'd have to soak and scrub and wash and dry it.

    Massive hugs to you, and hope she gets well soon. I think we'd better put this week on hold and have a massive catch-up next week as Jacob's still not right either.

    Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete