Wednesday 3 March 2010

Don't have the hands for crochet

Or the brains me-thinks. I borrowed some teach-yourself crochet books from a friend and after a few weeks of them staring me down I got around to buying some needles and wool. I remember doing it with my nanna when I was little, after I got bored of knitting, so assumed I'd pick it up easy enough. How wrong I was! I am soooo good at the first line of chain stitch but after that it keeps going to pot. I can't seem to see the V the book keeps on about, let alone spear it with the needle for the next row of stitches. Think I need someone to physically show me it and where I'm going wrong, will have to get some time with my nanna with someone to distract Poppy so I can concentrate.

So after about 2.5 hours in total I've given up for today and eaten some yummy WW victoria sponge cakes. My fingers hurt, my hands hurt and my wrists hurt. Thinking about it with hindsight, perhaps it's not the best hobby to take up when you have possible arthitic joints.

Have got MTV on and this old Rhianna song is on that reminds me of being out drinking and dancing, the one that the chorus is 'hey mr dj, pon de replay'. Ah the good old days of being young and carefree. I still love to dance now, but the only time I do is doing the Hot Dog dance at about 720am to the closing credits of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. God I'm cool.

2 comments:

  1. I'll show you ;)

    Crocheting into the chain is a complete pain, and I still struggle with it sometimes now, but once you see where you're supposed to be going, it's much more manageable.

    Make your chains loose to start with, then it's much easier to see the v and get into it.

    Don't give up - it really is fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looked on Youtube earlier and it makes it much easier, think i need to get some different yarn too as the one i bought is quite fluffy and makes it even harder to see what is what!

    ReplyDelete