Tuesday 2 March 2010

Sleep training started

Decided to bite the bullet today as the cold has pretty much gone, and she was up at 530am needing a bottle and cuddle. Which is all very well when I'm off work but seeing as my return is coming around with ever increasing speed, I don't want to be any more exhausted than I have to be considering I could cause someone harm at work by getting something wrong. Had to go to her nursery to pay fees and do paperwork at 930am so her morning nap was out anyway, so tried a late afternoon nap as she wasn't tired until then. Everything I read said that most babies can't keep it up for an hour, the screaming that is, but once again Poppy defied all logic and persisted until I gave up after an hour. Thankfully this made her very tired by bedtime so that she only stood up twice and cried for about half an hour all in. Who knew that leaving your child to cry pitifully, hanging over the cot with snot and tears running down their face, could make you feel so helpless, upset, sicky, annoyed!(just sleep dammit), depressed and determined all in one big jumbled emotional mess.

On the amusing side to the day, the nursery haven't had a baby who follows BLW principles before. Oh what a mess they'll get themselves into I'm sure! Did warn them about putting down a splash mat under the highchair, but it'll be nice to only have to clean up after her evening meal once i start working. Not sure if the mention of baby signing tipped her into thinking 'what the hell have i taken on here?' but whatever, they seem willing to give anything a try and didn't laugh in my face.

2 comments:

  1. That was pretty much the reaction I got at nursery!

    However last week they were inspected, and they had two displays on the walls, one about Jacob's BLW, and one about Jacob's baby-signing. They got a massive commendation in the inspection report about that, so they were soooo happy and even more keen to give it a go now. All the staff have learnt all the signs for animals and are now teaching the older children ;)

    I have such a good influence, wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! They should give you a months free fees or something ;-)

    ReplyDelete